Friday, October 5, 2018

Joe Mauer possibly retiring

My blog title is freakin me out. The whole reason I got into MN twins baseball was 12 years ago when I was flipping channels and came upon a twins game and they were celebrating a very cute baseball player by the name of Joe Mauer as he won his first (of eventually three) batting titles, which is very hard to do as a catcher.

Fast forward 12 years to the last game of the season last Sunday and I can't believe I am going to say this, but it was "Joe Mauer day" at Target Field. His twin girls (because of course the Twins hometown hero has twins) 5.5 year olds now greeted him at first base (they look JUST like Joe!) https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/1500/1*Tg8_X9lD5iWgWIUJ5P_0sw.jpeg  super funny how he is in the catchers crouch when his girls nearly knock him over with big bear hugs! LOL! he was meant to be in that catchers crouch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r99vWt5asEc

Every time he went to bat he got a roaring ovation... reminded me of when I witnessed the last couple of games at the metrodome in 2009 when he was trying for MVP (and we chanted MVP everytime he batted) and he did win that year and coincidentally it was announced on my birthday, I remember someone posting on my fb happy bday and Joe is MVP! LOL!

Of course he got a double during what could possibly be his last game!! classic Joey!

As I was watching the end of the game, just because I knew they would interview Joe afterward I caught the end (I have to admit with my brother getting married and my new job... I haven't been as big as a twins fan as I usually am) but then I was shocked and so happy to see Joe in his CATCHER'S GEAR!! eekkk!! I legit cried! I couldn't believe it! Joe was catching again after not being able to catch anymore due to his health and he was in tears, such a wonderful moment, if I had been paying attention to the twins I would've known to get tickets to that game and I am so sad that I wasn't there to see this in person. There is even a clip of a little girl watching from behind home plate and her mouth is wide open and shocked and I was probably doing the same thing. And to see him with his classic Joe Mauer catchers gear and the helmet he always wore when he caught... wow what a moment!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y2M-q6iMhM

This is a great video clip of the last day:
https://www.facebook.com/Twins/videos/494416554301652/

And these are great pictures:
https://twinsphotog.mlblogs.com/joe-mauer-day-ca4a8b444f58  credit goes to MN twins photographer!

Then after the game to hear and see him in tears after what could be his last game ever, I'm not sure if I would be mad or glad or even sad to see him with another team, but it sounds like he just wants to be with his family as he said he was glad he could take his girls to kindergarten the next day and his wife is expecting around my birthday (ironic right!). Also he said he promised his wife he wouldn't catch anymore, so the opposing team agreed to let the pitcher throw him a ball and he caught one pitch and then he stopped, but wow what a moment. I don't know that you can end your career on better terms. We shall see though.

I know Joe won't read this, but what a wonderful classy baseball player you are. Thank you so much for all the great memories! I've met him numerous times and he's always been so nice to me! The first time I met him my dad told him I wanted to marry him and Joe's response "he called you out!" LOL! I was so embarrassed, but secretly glad that Joe said that! haha!

And of course you probably know from this blog site (joemauerforme.blogspot.com) that he's a pretty special guy to me, and also my email address is named after him! LOL!

congrats Joe and here's hoping that you don't retire, although if you do it for your family, I suppose I can forgive you. #sayitaintsojoe

Love you Joey P Mauer!

PS I had a dream that his girls became figure skating greats... how awesome would that be, my two favorite sports would come together! #olympics2026 #marenandemilymauerfuturefigureskaters

No comments: